Internship focus: Public policy and community development
About the site
Formerly known as the Iowa City Area Chamber of Commerce, the Iowa City Area Business Partnership serves as the voice of business for Johnson County, Iowa, uniting businesses and community to maintain a strong economy and quality of life. Its advocacy efforts, networking events, and other member benefits position members, business leaders and the community for success.
About this internship
Working closely with the Vice President, Public Policy and Community Development, the intern will assist with research and writing regarding topics of interest to the office at that time. Depending on funding and political cycles, the intern could be involved in research and writing about affordable childcare, immigration, DEI in the workplace, and BLIPOC business ownership.
Intern’s work responsibilities
Responsibilities will include:
- Research relevant public policy topics, including the above list of issues
- Meet with community groups working to address important issues mentioned above and learn about their needs, priorities, and existing work
- Attend meetings of the Iowa City Council and Johnson County Supervisors
- Draft press releases, blog posts, newsletter text, and social media posts that inform our community and elected officials on the need for policy to address specific issues
- Assist in organizing events to gain feedback, build community, and form coalitions
- Attend Business Partnership events and build relationships with business leaders and elected officials
Qualifications & skills preferred
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Strong organizational abilities
- Interest in local and state policy and how it intersects with business
- Ability to work professionally with members, community leaders, elected officials, and candidates for public office
- Ability to work independently, including effective time management, attention to detail, and being deadline sensitive
Reporting, hours, & location
This position reports to Jennifer Banta, Vice President for Public Policy and Community Development, and is sited at MERGE in downtown Iowa City. This position occurs during regular business hours, although several of the public meetings the intern is expected to attend are in the evening.