Internship: Project Better Together Intern
ICAD seeks an intern to assist with research and marketing efforts to aid in COVID-related economic recovery efforts for the Iowa City Area, specifically supporting the efforts of Project Better Together. This program aims to build a transformed future for our community with greater economic diversity, growth, inclusivity, resilience, and well-being for all. Led by The Iowa City Area Business Partnership, Iowa City Area Development Group, Think Iowa City, and the Iowa City Downtown District, this community-wide recovery effort includes leaders from the four partner organizations, all three hospitals, the school district, area non-profits, social services, private business, and elected officials from all levels of government. Areas of focus include affordable housing, recent BLM demonstrations, pop-up service centers, BIPOC and immigrant business grant programs, social justice, COVID-related support, buy local, and food security.
Our needs are quickly changing, but we anticipate that this intern will focus on identifying and documenting stories of BIPOC and immigrant-owned businesses, including historical research and interviews with current owners. This person may also be involved with efforts around affordable housing, via research and storytelling. The kinds of work this person performs will depend in part on their skill strengths and interests.
- Perform research and interviews regarding current and past BIPOC and immigrant-owned businesses in the area served by ICAD
- Document these businesses through writing, audio, photography, and/or video as selected by ICAD mentor and intern
- Research and create other materials related to the needs of Project Better Together, such as the affordable housing and buy local initiatives
Qualifications & Skills Preferred:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable performing interviews
- Interest in documenting and storytelling for a public audience
- Strong collaborative skills and a desire to be part of an active team
- Self-starter with a passion for community development
- Familiarity with the communities served by ICAD
- Dedication to the key areas of BIPOC and immigrant businesses, affordable housing, and buying local.
Supervisor: Kate Moreland, President, ICAD