NCSML is one of the region’s leading ethnic museums. The NCSML’s 35 staff members are responsible for public programs, educational projects, and world-class exhibits.
Internship #4 – Education Associate
Learn about project-based learning (PBL) models as they pertain to and are being utilized by museums. Co-author article with K-12 Learning Specialist, Sarah Henderson on NCSML’s work in this area. Design panel or workshop on race and violence in partnership with the African American Museum of Iowa, with an emphasis on PBL approaches.
The NCSML has utilized project-based learning (PBL) during the 2019-2020 school year as part of its ongoing partnerships with local schools. The Education Associate intern will collect qualitative documentation of this work, including performing interviews with students and teachers with whom NCSML has partnered; gather examples from other museums engaged in PBL; and co-author an article based on these findings.
Additionally, the intern will work collaboratively with the Obermann intern at the African American Museum of Iowa to do some preliminary planning toward a program on race and violence, which is the culmination of NCSML’s 2019-2020 PBL work.
- Conduct a literature review on museum-based PBL
- Conduct stakeholder interviews to gather narratives about the NCSML’s impact in PBL
- Assist as needed in public programs preparation and student outreach with the K-12 Learning Specialist
- Draft an article summarizing the NCSML’s PBL model and its outcomes
- Work with the African American Museum of Iowa intern to design a public panel program on race and violence in the community
- Conduct stakeholder interviews to inform the design process
Qualifications & Skills Preferred
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Familiarity with or strong interest in learning about PBL and museum education programming
- Interest in community equity, especially in relation to race in America
- Ability to collaborate
- Must have a car or other way to get to Cedar Rapids; mileage will be compensated
Supervisor: Sarah Henderson, K-12 Learning Specialist