Site: Hancher Auditorium
Hancher is a multidisciplinary performing arts presenter committed to connecting artists and audiences with transformational artistic experiences. For 47 years, Hancher has supported the University of Iowa’s mission of teaching, research, and service by presenting the world’s finest performing artists; developing, engaging, and enlightening audiences; initiating and supporting the creation of new works; and providing artistic, educational, technical, human, and physical resources to the University and the people of Iowa.
Project: Residency Development Internship
Hancher is committed to connecting artists with audiences beyond the stage. Hancher residencies bring artists to campus, into the community, and across the state. Artists often engage with the community over a course of two to six days, participating in events, often free, that deepen the impact of visiting artists and remind us all that the arts are relevant to all aspects of life. Recent resident artists include L.A. Theatre Works, La Santa Cecilia, G. Willow Wilson, Terence Blanchard, Camille A. Brown & Dancers, The Russian National Orchestra, Soweto Gospel Choir, Taylor Mac, Zeshan Bagewadi, and The Joffrey Ballet. As part of our planning for next season’s residencies, we will spend summer 2019 developing a non-traditional talkback series that will take place throughout the 2019–2020 season.
- Working with Hancher public engagement staff to craft unique and impactful residency events for the 2019–2020 season, particularly as they relate to Latinx, African American, Native American, and Middle Eastern populations in Iowa City and surrounding areas
- Assisting in the development of programs and events associated with the spring 2020 university-wide theme “Flow Together” in advance of Hancher’s upcoming project, The Big Splash, a three-day festival that will celebrate the river at the center of our community and the 100th anniversary of IIHR (Iowa Institute of Hydraulic Research)
- Acting as a researcher and thought partner as we reimagine the post-show discussion model
Qualifications and Skills Preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of the Iowa City community and surrounding areas
- Experience in public engagement planning
- Events programming
Supervisor: Micah Ariel James, Education Manager